Sunday 16 December 2012

Weird Records

I have a large record collection, one that started when I was around 15. I was addicted to buying them. My obsession has waned in recent years but I still can't not buy one that is cheap. It would be rude not to!

I have a few strange records that upon reflection, I'm not too sure why I have. Or why I bought them.



Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Love Beach

"Yeah guys. I think we just made a masterpiece"

Infamous for it's cover and honestly the only reason I probably bought this. I was and am a huge 
prog-rock fan, despite never really getting ELP. I was the king of pretense but that supergroup managed to reach levels of pretentiousness I could only hope to aspire to.

The album itself is actually only mediocre. There isn't as much self-indulgence (Or musical masturbation as I call it) and there is a few good tracks buried mainly by the cover.

I mean look at Carl Palmer, who manages to pull off the Swayze before Swayze.

I will eat your soul



Pink Floyd meets Frank Zappa

1st place in the primary school art competition. 

I don't really believe this still exists. I didn't believe it was real at the time.
It comes from "Festival Actuel, Amougies (Belgium) Day Two - Oct, 25th 1969" and chronociles a strange performance from two of the most perfectly normal artists of their time.

"Normal"

Sadly, the record ain't great. There is a ten minute badly recorded version of "Astronomy Domine" (Which always feel weird for me when Dave is playing rather than Syd) and two good versions of "Green is the colour" and "Careful with that axe, Eugene" to round up Side A.

Side B is the Pink Zappa/Frank Floyd side and the first track is literally three minutes of everyone tuning up. And then main course - a 21 minute version of Interstellar Overdrive with Frank Zappa on guitar! Unforgettably  it falls to same badly recorded production as the other tracks, it drags on particularly during the jam sections. And if I am perfectly honest, you wouldn't even really tell Frank was there.


I was going to include the two/three albums recorded by the Doors after Jim Morrison's death. But I have decided to create a full article for them.

I owe it to Mexican Densmore, PE teacher Krieger and Hipster Manzarek

So instead, I dug out this special little record which lent it's name to this blog.


Peace out everybody.

KRS




No comments: